Petitioners: You must be a Newark resident. Thank you!
Newark youth need a skatepark. Help us get them one. SIGN this petition!
***If you think you've already signed this petition, think again: Our Change.org petition with 850+ signatures convinced the Newark City Council that skating is an unmet recreational need. This new petition asks the Newark City Council and Planning Commission to allocate funds toward a skatepark and to include it in the city's park master plan.***
- Youth need a safe place to skate, a place where they can socialize with their peers, where they can get exercise, and where their parents can find them.
- Youth need Parks, not iPads.
Also, consider donating today to help with outreach efforts.
• Builds community. Provides a gathering place for teens, and their families, encouraging residents to get to know one another and build friendships.
• Provides a safer skate environment. Less than 5% of all skateboarding injuries occur in skateparks. Our public streets, sidewalks, stairs, and curbs are not safe places to skate. A majority of fatal skateboarding accidents that occur in the street involve a motor vehicle.
• Improves health and well-being. Obesity is a problem in our youth. What do you call an obese skateboarder? A beginner. A free sport is an excellent way to encourage physical fitness⸺get them away from the videos games⸺give them access to fresh air and exercise!
• Lowers crime. Provides an additional, productive activity for teens⸺a place⸺a sense of belonging⸺an identity. Boredom in teens is not helpful: ask any police officer!
• Improves education. Challenges them, teaches them to handle failure, and helps build confidence⸺all of which can carry over into the classroom.
• Boosts local business. When residents travel to other cities for recreational needs, they spend money in those cities (dining out, etc). Let's keep money in Newark!
• Enhances, improves, and revitalizes our city. They're downright cool! Makes our city look hip. Gives Newark teens a sense of PRIDE!